Dental Technology - Encinitas, CA
How Does Air Abrasion Work?
Instead of using other instruments to perform a cleaning, Dr. Kania uses air abrasion, a tool that works like a mini sandblaster. The instrument is designed to spray a fine stream of particles, made of silica, aluminum oxide, or a baking soda mixture, at the area being cleaned. These particles are compressed into a gas that is run through the hand piece. As the particles hit the tooth surface, they gently remove the small particles of decay and plaque on the tooth surface and the particles are suctioned away.
Is it Safe?
Yes, air abrasion is safe. As a safety precaution, protective eye wear must be worn to protect from stray particles. Also, a protective rubber dam may be used to protect your gums and nearby teeth from the spray.
What are the Advantages?
Compared to the traditional cleaning methods, air abrasion has many advantages.
- Air abrasion generates no heat, no sound, no pressure, and no vibration.
- Air abrasion reduces the need for anesthesia.
- Air abrasion preserves more of the healthy tooth structure than traditional drilling.
- Air abrasion reduces the risk of fracturing or chipping the tooth.
- Air abrasion is relatively simple and quick, making time in the dental chair faster!